Saturday, April 18, 2009

What not to do with leftover Rubber

My children are creative. I've never said otherwise. They are both creative and imaginative. It's no wonder they enjoy stamping about as much as I do.

Today, my daughter was helping me mount some stamps. I had several sets that I had just sitting on the table, so we were putting them together and chatting. Then my five year old son wanted to help. No offense to him, but I don't trust him with my stamps. He whined a bit, but then left. Or so I thought........

After we had finished several sets my son appeared in the room. "Look Mom! I'm a transformer." As you can see from these pictures he had taken the outer "frame" from my stamps and plastered it to himself. He said it gave him robot parts like the transformers. In case you were curious, the purple part on his right hand side was his shooting part.



I wasn't horribly concerned. I thought he looked kinda cute. He stayed in "Robot Mode" for a little while and then came in to say that he wanted me to help him take off his "Robot parts". By now you should start to see the problem. These pieces are sticky. I mean really really sticky. Needless to say after much pulling and screaming and even using alcohol to cut the stickiness we finally got them off. As you can see from these pictures he wasn't nearly as happy after we took them off. They left little red welts all over his body. Did it phase him? Nope! "Look Mom, Now I have Robot parts for real!" He and my daughter played match the stamp to his red welts for another hour! Anyway, this is one thing you should NEVER EVER do!

17 comments:

  1. Oh poor thing, for now until he gets into more mischief, I showed my husband and said to him that was something he would do and he replied "That's like something I did do" when he was a kid of course. Although since the last 10 years of marriage I have known him to do stuff just as silly and he is supposed to be an adult

    ReplyDelete
  2. is he allergic to latex? You might want to be careful about that..but, how funny if he isn't! I almost thought he played out in the sun and got a suntan from the holes in the rubber!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How clever! Looks like a lot of fun, well at least till you have to remove them. dar

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I love to see things through children's eyes. They see things so differently. Sorry it caused irritation. I have that problem with some latex based adhesives. He did look like a cool robot! Yeah for Transformers and they made a comeback. With three sons, I saw a lot of those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun -- at first. But it does give anew way seeing our leftover rubber! Children often see things we do not see!
    Judy Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a creative guy! What a cool looking transformer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor little guy!! My kids just love playing with the left over rubber too but have never thought of putting it on their bodies, I am sure there would be lots of tears pulling it off!!! I hope he heals very fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor little guy! You have to give him an "A" for originality! And for wanting to take part in his mom's hobby. I have two grandsons, ages 3 and 9 and they love to visit -- they head right for my art room and start 'creating!' I think it's wonderful ... but a tad painful for your little guy! Hug him for me ...

    Fond regards,
    Carol Westover
    http:/www.geocities.com/tehachap
    http://www.tehachapidepot.com
    http://www.pictureperfectandstamps.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bless his heart! I love how creative he was with your left over rubber but it does look like he is allergic to something.. I am allergic to latex and the glue on things like band aids and surgical tape. Boy did I find that out the hard way so I can relate with your little guy!
    Maybe you should get him the tatoo kit and leave the rubber alone. LOL
    Happy Stamping
    Shelly
    www.imstuckonstampinup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah...poor thing! He did look cute with them on, but OUCH! I feel for him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OUCH! Oh my! The things kids will think of doing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very innovative to match the stamp that matches his welts...I hope he is not in much pain...It could have been worse...he could of pulled the rubber of the stamp and used on his body...but of course we all know he knows better...

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is alot to be said for creative genius!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Kelly, it is funny, but oh the pain of removing them!! Glad he got a laugh for a short time at least!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  15. poor little guy; but at that age they bounce back pretty quick.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kelly: I laughed and laughed. I had my 7-year-old grandson here and I showed it to him. It looks just like something he would do. Your son is very, very clever. I guess every genius has to suffer, don't they! Lucia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Poor little guy! But it was so much fun to read this post... And at least he had some fun for a little while being a transformer.
    Kathrin aka Kruemel

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I appreciate what you have to say!